Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Frustrations of Composing


So I am one of those composers who has a bajillion different ideas for compositions but can never finish any of them. You could call it composer's ADD. Though it's helpful, because I'm never short of ideas for starting a song, it is so frustrating to me that I can't finish any of them. I just checked all my loose sheets of composition paper, and I have a grand total of *drum roll* over twenty ideas going at the same time, not counting the countless ones I've thrown away. And how many of those have I completed? *drum roll* One. Yes, that's not a typo. I have only completed one real composition, not counting the few I made when I was younger. Right now, I am working on an orchestral piece, because I really want to submit it in the school composition contest. I got pretty far, like three pages in, but then I realized that I hated the whole thing. So now, I'm starting again with the same two melodies, and nothing is working. If anyone (of my one readers) has any suggestions, please comment, because I am seriously in need :).

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if I am that one reader you speak of but I do have an idea for you. I have the same trouble choreographing dances where I am really inspired one day and the next I can't start where I left off. Unless I think about it when I am falling asleep. Then my mind shuts off the realist nagging and lets me just dream. I haven't found a good way of recording my progress but I'd love to see what you can come up with. They say you remember things best if you read them before you sleep so maybe it will work the same way? Don't give up on it!

    ReplyDelete